Before a captain or founder can start getting people together for a game, they need to acquire the bare minimum pieces of equipment. Teams with more funding or support should skip ahead for more advanced equipment. But for the captains who must improvise at the beginning, the following items are recommended.
- Simple goal hoops (6) – Duct-tape a hula hoop to the top of a large and readily available object (example: dorm or classroom chairs) or hang hula hoops from soccer goals (with permission first of course).
- Volleyball (1) – Semi-deflated to the point that it can be easily gripped with one hand but still round enough to throw and pass with accuracy. We recommend Baden Match Point brand, which you can find by clicking here (or scroll to the bottom of this page for links).
- Dodgeballs (3) – Same condition as volleyball. 8.5 inch diameter is preferred. We recommend Champion Sports brand, which you can find either a package of 6 by clicking here, or single ones by clicking here (or scroll to the bottom of this page for links).
- Flag Runner tail and shorts (1) – A long sock with a tennis ball in the bottom, tucked into shorts that can be drawn up tightly with a string or a flag football belt. Yellow clothing is recommended.
- Brooms (14):
- Must consist of a rigid pole made of plastic (typically PVC pipe).
i. This pole must be between 39 and 41 inches long.
ii. The outer diameter of this pole must be between .75 and 1.25 inches.
- Must not have splinters or sharp points.
- Must not be attached to the body, clothing, or other equipment of the player.